Singer Sewn Binding
Confusing Graphic Arts Terms? Let’s Look at Saddle Sewing
What would you call the binding method in the image above? In the graphic arts industry, finishing methods can go by many names, which can make communication between designers, printers and trade finishers difficult. I’ve heard this binding style called by at least 7 different names!
- Center sewn binding (the thread stitches show in the center of the signatures)
- Center stitching (this can be confused with saddle stitching)
- Singer sewing (the book sewing is done on a brand of Singer sewing machines)
- Singer binding
- Center thread sewn binding
- Pamphlet stitching
- Passport binding (travel passports are bound with this method)
Which is the most descriptive and least confusing term? I prefer the term Saddle Sewing because the entire industry relates to saddle stitching and this is the same style (except the metal stitches are replaced with thread).
We’ve automated our Saddle Sewing process, so our pricing for larger runs of 10,000+ is cheaper and our turnaround time is shorter! Please give us a call if this binding method is the best fit for your book project.
I don’t often repeat products, but we have now automated our Saddle Sewing process and can also bind thicker booklets!