Layflat binding is a unique book binding method that allows a book to lay flat when open. The pages are glued to a strip of cloth rather than to the inside of the book cover. This frees up the front cover so it can completely open and lay flat.
To work properly, layflat binding requires several components:
- Layflat books can only have soft covers
- Layflat works best when the book is between 1/2″ to 1 1/4″ thick
- Text stock should be a maximum of 60lb coated, with the grain running the same direction as the spine
- Cover stock must be a minimum of 10pt, which will prevent the cloth from showing through the cover
- Any graphics on the IFC must be at least 1/2″ away from the spine as the layflat cloth covers that area